- Make a vertical incision through the abdominal wall from subxiphoid area to the symphysis pubis.
- Manually retract the abdominal wall laterally in both directions to expose the anterior surface of the uterus and retract the bladder inferiorly.
- Use a scalpel to make a small vertical incision through the lower uterine segment (lowest part of uterus).
- Use bandage scissors (or trauma shears) to extend the incision vertically to the fundus.
- Deliver the infant, suction the nose and mouth, and clamp and cut the cord.