- Prepare for an emergency cesarean section. If unable, temporize:
- Place the mother in knee-chest or deep Trendelenburg (head-down) position
- Minimize compression of the umbilical cord by inserting a sterile gloved hand and exerting manual pressure in the vagina to lift and maintain the presenting part away from the prolapsed cord
- After manual elevation of the presenting part, instill 500 mL of saline into the bladder to raise the presenting part and maintain cord decompression.
- Tocolytic therapy can be administered to decrease uterine contractions.